#2 - Bug List


My Bug List:

1. Traffic… Anywhere and everywhere 
Why it exists: Traffic congestion happens for many reasons, with some including too many cars for the road, construction sites blocking lanes, or people observing/avoiding accidents.

2. Empty Brita water filters in the refrigerator
Why it exists: My roommates knowingly place empty filters in the fridge without refilling them back up. I’d say this problem exists due to laziness.

3. Lack of parking on campus
Why it exists: Campus has instead used its resources on building new infrastructures such as apartments and school buildings, with no additional parking space. Also, parking lots that have been added, such as the one by Norman, are made for Orange decals which only pertains to faculty and staff.

4. When people sit on my bed dirty
Why it exists: Throughout the day, people get sweaty and dirty from walking around and being active. When my friends get home, they will come hangout in my room and sit on my bed sometimes.

5. When people don’t use the dishwasher and let the dishes pile in the sink instead
Why it exists: Laziness is the main cause, with roommates waiting to do dishes until it becomes necessary. Also, some roommates believe it’s better to hand wash dishes, as it helps with relaxation and the usage of less water.

6. When the drain clogs in the shower
Why it exists: Shower drains are small and compact, so soap and hair can cause clogs if it's not washed down properly.

7. When you can’t temperature regulate
Why it exists: The University aims to keep all classrooms cool to combat the heat of Florida. I also do the same with my apartment.

8. When people talk on speaker phone in public

Why it exists: People talk on speaker phone because we enable them to do so by just being in a public space. Because it's public they feel like they can. Or because they just don’t care about what others think.

9. When my hair tie breaks
Why it exists: After many uses, hair ties lose their elasticity and break.

10. When people don’t use their blinkers... for anything
Why it exists: Drivers are lazy when it comes to blinkers. Sometimes they don’t think it’s necessary if they change lanes frequently or if they're already in a turn lane, or some just don't like to use it in general.

11. When I can’t find a seat at my favorite coffee shop
Why it exists: The UF libraries are already always crowded, so it’s even more frustrating when my favorite coffee shop is crowded too. There is a limited number of coffee shops in Gainesville to find seating for studying.

12. Group projects, especially with randomly assigned groups
Why it exists: Professors want you to collaborate and meet other students while also showing that you understand the class material. By assigning groups randomly, it allows students to branch out and ensure no one is left out.

13. Congestion in Turlington Plaza
Why it exists: Turlington is the main hub for student organizations and clubs to table and advertise. It’s also a main intersection on campus for people when transitioning classes, so the area itself gets really congested.

14. When my shoe lace comes undone while running
Why it exists: The force from the movement of my feet is greater than the friction in the laces, causing them to come undone.

15. Grocery shopping when Trader Joe's is super crowded
Why it exists: There are peak times at Trader Joe's when more people go shopping than at other times.

16. When people stop to talk in the middle of the hallway, blocking it for anyone to get by
Why it exists: Students run in to friends and stop to talk, but don’t think about where they’re stopping. Usually it’s in a classroom building hallway, right in the middle, which makes it difficult for other students to navigate around them.

17. The new stadium hours of 7a-7p
Why it exists: The University Athletic Association reserves the right to decide the stadium hours. Also by keeping the hours the same throughout the year (not changing them around daylight savings), it further ensures the safety of both the users and the staff.

18. All the construction of new apartment buildings for students 
Why it exists: The student body has continued to grow, causing companies the opportunity to build new housing units.

19. How Apple has different chargers for the different generations of laptops
Why it exists: Every time Apple comes out with a new laptop, or any new device, they change the design of the power ports.

20. When Netflix buffers… for a long time

Why it exists: The reason behind this is usually my Wi-Fi signal is weak, or that Netflix is having technical difficulties of their own.



I started to struggle with thinking of things that bugged me as I got closer to the end of my list. It’s a lot harder to think of pet peeves on the spot, instead of just noting them when they happen. Overall I found this list to be difficult when I was specifically determining why these bugs existed. Some of the reasons of existence you can’t control, whereas others are manageable and can be resolved.


Comments

  1. Hey Taylor,
    As I am reading more and more of these blogs it is interesting to see how many people have similar bugs while also coming up with some individually to them. For example, your ninth bug about hair ties breaking is something I would have never considered before because I don't use hair ties. Reading about other people's bugs has helped me gain more perspective from those experiences I have not and may never experience myself. Perspective is everything in this exercise and I am fascinated by the variety in experiences and complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor,
    I can totally resonate with most of your bugs! The one I can agree with you most is #2, when roommates do not fill water into the Brita filter after taking some for themselves. I do understand that it is a super annoying and time consuming task to do because the filter also takes a while to drain the water. There has to be a better solution for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor! I completely agree with you about then list getting much harder as the list went on. I found myself able to pump out 8 or 9 pet peeves then I really had to start digging deep! I agree with many of your points, especially when people speak on speaker! Also, Apple changing the cords is extremely annoying! Hopefully apple changes this, but due to their love of making money they probably won't! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This assignment is honestly harder then I thought. Also i can see how actively looking for problems is the best way for coming up with a business because it honestly almost always starts with a bug if you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Taylor! I can relate to a lot of your bugs except maybe clogging the drain as I'm a guy with short hair. I didn't know the stadium hours changed to 7a-7p as I am an online student, but it's good to know whenever I head over to Gainesville! There were some other bugs that you mentioned about campus/Gainesville life that I'll also take note of. Great list, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 – Venture Concept No. 2

#6 – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends