#3 - Entrepreneurship Story

I was exposed to entrepreneurship early in life, but one instance was in high school, mainly due to a class I took called “Entrepreneurship.” The main idea of the class was to learn entrepreneurship tactics and strategies and apply them to a realistic venture. The venture that my class came up with was hosting a Fall Festival at the high school for children in grades K-5 in order to raise money for Toys for Tots. I was selected by my class to be Project Lead, and had to create the business plan from scratch. It was challenging and demanding, but so rewarding on the actual day of the festival. We ended up raising more money than we expected and the Fall Festival is still in continuance annually at the high school. Overall, this experience taught me how challenging it can be if you don’t have a team to support you. I relied on my classmates to help me put the Festival together, because there was no way I could have done it alone. Even though we came up with the Fall Festival idea as a class, I still had to prove my individual vision of the Festival to my classmates and get them on board. Although the outcome was an event and not so much a product or service, I learned how to view things with an entrepreneurial mindset. 

I was also just recently exposed to entrepreneurship at my internship placement in London. I studied abroad there this past Spring semester, and had an amazing opportunity to work for a small start-up called StepEx. This company consisted of 4 employees, including myself, and our office was located in a shared innovation hub. Dan, the CEO and founder, is passionate about helping others and making sure everyone has an equal opportunity to higher education, so his idea was to revolutionize student finance by connecting talent to wealth. Dan taught me that being an entrepreneur consists of long, tedious hours of hard work, with many of them being behind the scenes or before any successes come along. Dan had to be persistent and patient for 18 months when working with the UK regulators in order to build a framework that allowed this new type of credit for people and to avoid any financial issues in the future. I learned that not everything goes as planned when you are an entrepreneur – every day something new is thrown your way. For example, issues with the UK government (otherwise known as Brexit), put a lengthy halt on the company’s authorization, setting back StepEx’s time line. In addition, StepEx was still in the final developmental stage when I interned there, so I learned that operational flows can change quite frequently at this time. Not only did my company teach me what it was like to start a business and present a new idea to society, but I was also surrounded by many other entrepreneurs working to become successful too. The innovation hub consisted of companies at all developmental stages, so it was neat to experience and observe the ups and the downs that take place when starting a company. Overall, I learned that to be an entrepreneur, you have to be fully committed to what you’re doing. It’s all or nothing.
I enrolled in ENT3003 because entrepreneurship teaches invaluable business skills and the development of business instincts in unpredictable settings. Ever since high school, I’ve had an interest in maybe one day developing my own company, and figured this was the best class to help determine if it was right for me. There is so much to learn from entrepreneurs and their ventures, and this class offers a more in-depth experience and learning platform than a traditional business class would. I’m convinced that everything I learn from this class will become useful in any future career.


Comments

  1. Hi Taylor,
    Similarly to you, I was exposed to entrepreneurship in high school. I think it is really cool that you were able to take a class on entrepreneurship at school at a young age. I imagine I would have really enjoyed that class. It seems like this class was very beneficial to you, because now you are interested in potentially pursuing your own business! I agree that this class will give us a more in depth look at business strategies and tactics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Taylor,
    Gaining such valuable entrepreneurship experience at such a young age is a great opportunity. It is definitely something you could sound off on during a job interview. Also, speaking of great opportunities, I am jealous that you got to spend time in London for your internship with StepEx. I agree 100% that being an entrepreneur is an all-or-nothing thing. Hopefully you can learn some more of what it takes to be an entrepreneur this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Taylor, your high school story is really cool. It is awesome that your classmates and you were able to create a festival to benefit less fortunate kids and the fact that is still going. Your internship story sounds like a great you had a really good experience because you had firsthand experience in the business world and how an outside force like politics can make things harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taylor

    I had a very similar experience to you in that I was exposed to entrepreneurship in a class I took. I think the idea you came up with is really cool. I totally agree that if you don't have a good team around you to help you get things done, then it can be extremely challenging to be productive. I also agree that we can learn so much from the experience of entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Taylor! I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I can relate to being exposed to entrepreneurship from early on, but I was never in any entrepreneurship class (this is my first!). I think it’s really cool how you had first-hand experience working with an entrepreneur through an internship. You were able to see that entrepreneurship is not all gold and roses like many make it out to be: it’s hard work that has a lot of risk. As an entrepreneur, I can vouch for the head of the company in that it is a patient game with a lot of work in the background. Great post!
    Kind regards,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Taylor! That is so cool that in high school you were so involved in entrepreneurship! Being exposed to something early on always helps understand it better! In high school I partook in an entrepreneurship class as well, and I loved it! That is so cool also that you studied abroad in London! I am hoping to study abroad in the next few years! That seems like a once in a lifetime experience! StepEx seems like a really cool company and I love the logo! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 – Venture Concept No. 2

#6 – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends