#4 - Forming An Opportunity Belief

I believe there is an opportunity to aid runners in sustaining a consistent pace when they participate in outdoor runs. There are so many variables when it comes to running, especially during a race, and pacing is a difficult one to control. It’s easy to maintain a consistent and comfortable pace when running on a treadmill, but when it comes to outdoor runs, pacing becomes a lot more difficult. For example, pacing problems that occur very commonly outside consist of over-striding, gassing out too early, or losing control on hills. Current devices on apple watches and smart phones provide split times, but not your real time pace. The opportunity would be to create an app with an accessory ankle bracelet. You would enter your target pace into the app, and the ankle bracelet would track the speed of your steps, which would calculate on the app if you were under or above your target pace based on an average of the last 5 seconds. The anklet would give a slight vibration when a runner deviates from their intended pace, signaling to the runner to either speed up or slow down. This device wouldn’t be any different from putting a chip timer on your shoelace or wearing the chip timer as an ankle bracelet (these are how some chip timers are worn during marathons instead of on the race bib).

Although this opportunity has a small demand pool, people who have this need range from beginners to athletes. People who are learning to run, or training and setting goals, have this need, as well as athletes that participate in long distance events who need to track their pace. Even athletes in other sports can fall into this category too. The need comes from a common mistake that runners make when they’re pacing. It’s not necessarily a new problem, but it would help be a solution. Split times that show on your watch can be hard to pay attention to, so having a vibration when inconsistent would be beneficial. I am 75% sure this opportunity exists.


#1. College female who has participated in half marathons.

- How often do you go for a run?

  • 4 days a week on the treadmill, and twice outside until it gets to the cooler months and then I run more frequently outdoors
- Do you focus on your pace as you run? / Do you ever realize that your pace is inconsistent?
  • Yes, I try to at least. And absolutely I always notice my pace is inconsistent, which is why I aim to run on the treads a bit more so I can try and feel the proper body feelings at my goal pace, if that makes sense.
- How long have you had this need?
  • Ever since I started running, like around when I ran cross country for high school. And even more so now when training for half marathons.
- Do you currently use any apps that track your pace?
  • Yes, I use the workout app on the apple watch. I used to use the Nike one in high school, but it only shows split times after you’re done. It also speaks into your headphones after hitting every mile and I found that annoying because it ruined my songs so I stopped using it.
- Do you think having an app and accessory anklet that gave you your target pace on an average of the last 5 seconds would be beneficial?
  • Yes, because I tend to gas myself out at the beginning and ruin my run. It’s really hard to keep checking my watch to see if my pace has changed, and you have to wait until you complete each mile to see your split times. Sometimes I even just wait until the workout is over because I forget to check after each mile, it’s really frustrating.
Reflection: She brought up a lot of really good points during the interview. I learned that my opportunity was appealing to her, although I do have competition with other apps that are out there. It was good feedback that she would rather have something vibrate on her ankle, then talk to her in her headphones. She sounds like she would be on board though, and agrees with this opportunity.


#2. Middle-age female who runs recreationally and in occasional races.

- How often do you go for a run?

  • I’d say I run three-four times a week, twice on the tread and once-twice outside
- Do you focus on your pace as you run? / Do you ever realize that your pace is inconsistent?
  • Eh not really, but I guess it depends. I do notice when it’s inconsistent. When outside, I run with how I feel. On the tread, I can see my pace because it’s on the dashboard, so then I run against the clock/pace.
- How long have you had this need?
  • A few years, and it’s more noticeable around the times I train for races
- Do you currently use any apps that track your pace?
  • I do not. I use an Under Armour one that tracks that my distance and outlines the length of my run. But sometimes I look, and see that I start out slow and then my pace picks up at the end. But pace isn’t the sole reason I use that app, more so distance. But around training times, I will use that app a little more for pace just so I have an idea on where I'm at. 
- Do you think having an app and accessory anklet that gave you your target pace on an average of the last 5 seconds would be beneficial? 
  • I definitely do. I would use it when training, and then since I had it, I would use it for some of my recreational runs too. Because with distance races, it would help me aim for my target finish time and keep me on track. 
Reflection: It was interesting to hear her responses since she falls into both categories. My opportunity appeals to her, and became more accurate from her feedback. Also, helps to know that she would use it in both cases, for recreation and races.


#3. College male who runs for leisure/for cardio exercise.

- How often do you go for a run?

  • About once or twice a week, outdoors specifically. I dislike treadmills
- Do you focus on your pace as you run? / Do you ever realize that your pace is inconsistent?
  • Not at all, and no I just run at my own pace
- How long have you had this need?
  • It’s never really occurred to me. I just run to get my cardio in
- Do you currently use any apps that track your pace?
  • Yes, I use the apple watch work out app, but more so to track my distance of my run. I do look at my mile times when I finish, but that’s not my main goal when I go for runs
- Do you think having an app and accessory anklet that gave you your target pace on an average of the last 5 seconds would be beneficial?
  • Yes, I would. I think it would be interesting. I’m not so sure I would buy it since I run just to run, but I think it would be a neat idea.
Reflection: His responses were very different from the two above since he only runs to get his cardio in with no other motivators. An interesting takeaway is that even though he necessarily wouldn’t buy it, he still thought it was a cool concept to have for people who did run. This shows that I would definitely have to tailor my opportunity to those who run with their pace in mind, with maybe a few individuals interested who just run for fun.

Summary: Although I think my opportunity still exists, it has changed a little after interviewing a few potential customers. They each brought up really good points to consider, and I think it was valuable talking to people with different running backgrounds, or reasons for running. I definitely would tailor my opportunity to people who care about their pace, but also could try and sway those who just run for fun. It would have been interesting to interview athletes of different types and see if this same need applied to them. I feel like my opportunity is more accurate, and I think really any opportunity is more accurate after interviewing potential customers or prospects. Finding the correct target audience and hearing their reaction to the opportunity is what determines whether or not it would be successful. I think entrepreneurs should definitely adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback. If their customers aren’t happy with the product or believe in the product, then their company is going to tank. People will always have different views, and not everyone will agree, but it’s always best to hear the ideas and feedback from potential customers.

Comments

  1. Hello Taylor! Seems that you're interested in running and I'm interested in bodyweight exercises, huh? I didn't think about the complexity of running, especially with pace but it makes a lot of sense. I don't usually like running, I'm more of a jump-roper! I think we both learned that peoples' activity levels are on a contiuum and certain products are better tailored to certain points on that contiuum. It was very pleasant to read your thoughts, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Taylor, I think that the app you would like to create is a great idea. I used to play soccer in high school and run in the off season to maintain form. I have always hated running in treadmills because it would leave my knees hurting but it was the only way to keep my pace and times (yes, way before smart phones). The app would help regular runners and even athletes who are trying to achieve certain goals like keeping the same pace to increase endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor! I used to be a runner when I was in middle school, and I remember the struggle of keeping the same pace. What I did was use a few different metrics to determine whether or no I should increase my speed or decrease it. The first thing I did was set a timer when I went on a run. After every turn and corner, I would look at my stopwatch and remember the time displayed. When I went on future runs, I tried to keep it consistent with the times I remembered. This was pretty inefficient though because there was no way of telling whether I was keeping a consistent pace during the first metric. I hope that information can help you in any way with your idea!

    Kind regards,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor,
    I loved this post and idea.
    I was a part of the cross country team throughout high school and i really believe this would be a great idea. It is very difficult to keep your pace and time consistent without practice. Outdoor running is definitely substantially different and can effect your pace. This app sounds like a potential idea that could be executed properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Taylor! This is an awesome idea! Whenever I go for a run I know it is extremely difficult to maintain pace, and I have thought there has to be another way to make this easier. I loved reading your idea at first, but then also seeing how your idea changed and evolved after talking to runners. I love how you covered a wide variety of kinds of runners, didn't ask only one kind of runner! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 – Venture Concept No. 2

#6 – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends