#14 – Halfway Reflection
1) Tenaciousness is a competency.
Time management is the most important behavior one should use in this class. For people with busy schedules like me, attending live lectures can be super difficult so I have to rely on the recorded versions. It can be very easy to forget about them during the week, and then when it comes time to complete a cupcake, you have to catch back up. There are also assignments due every week. Keeping a schedule of due dates and staying on top of assignments is super important for this class. You can go at your own speed, but be careful not to fall behind! By knowing how to manage your time, you can complete all assignments before the deadlines and not feel super stressed at the end of the week. This has really helped me get through not only this class, but others as well, and has also forced me to better my self-discipline and organizational skills.
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude.
There are many times when some of these assignments take longer than expected, and you don’t feel like trying as hard, or completing the interviews, or recording yourself for that mock elevator pitch. Emphasis on the elevator pitch. I have never liked them, and never will, so that was a time when I wanted to give up (and will probably want to give up when pitch number two roles around). Also finding the right people to interview can be discouraging, but also a little rewarding when it’s finally done. Another time I felt like “giving up” was after choosing my business idea that I would build on for the rest of the semester. I was interested in what I chose, but I wasn’t sure how well I’d be able to execute my ideas or if I would be able to follow through with it when others didn’t necessarily see things from my point of view. However, I’ve stuck with it so far and have learned a lot about the entrepreneurial process. This class challenges you to actively think about solving problems, which can be overwhelming, but it’s overall a great experience!
3) Three tips.
1. Plan! Plan, plan, plan. The deadlines approach faster than you think. Put every due date into a calendar to keep yourself organized.
2. Don’t put this class behind other classes. You should be dedicating a lot of time during your week to this class in order to complete assignments and stay on top of your work. Don’t slack off.
3. Have fun and be engaged! This class is a great learning experience. Choose ideas that interest you so that you can learn the most out of it. If you choose a business concept that you actually like, the class will be more enjoyable and also easier since it’s something you can talk about.
Time management is the most important behavior one should use in this class. For people with busy schedules like me, attending live lectures can be super difficult so I have to rely on the recorded versions. It can be very easy to forget about them during the week, and then when it comes time to complete a cupcake, you have to catch back up. There are also assignments due every week. Keeping a schedule of due dates and staying on top of assignments is super important for this class. You can go at your own speed, but be careful not to fall behind! By knowing how to manage your time, you can complete all assignments before the deadlines and not feel super stressed at the end of the week. This has really helped me get through not only this class, but others as well, and has also forced me to better my self-discipline and organizational skills.
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude.
There are many times when some of these assignments take longer than expected, and you don’t feel like trying as hard, or completing the interviews, or recording yourself for that mock elevator pitch. Emphasis on the elevator pitch. I have never liked them, and never will, so that was a time when I wanted to give up (and will probably want to give up when pitch number two roles around). Also finding the right people to interview can be discouraging, but also a little rewarding when it’s finally done. Another time I felt like “giving up” was after choosing my business idea that I would build on for the rest of the semester. I was interested in what I chose, but I wasn’t sure how well I’d be able to execute my ideas or if I would be able to follow through with it when others didn’t necessarily see things from my point of view. However, I’ve stuck with it so far and have learned a lot about the entrepreneurial process. This class challenges you to actively think about solving problems, which can be overwhelming, but it’s overall a great experience!
3) Three tips.
1. Plan! Plan, plan, plan. The deadlines approach faster than you think. Put every due date into a calendar to keep yourself organized.
2. Don’t put this class behind other classes. You should be dedicating a lot of time during your week to this class in order to complete assignments and stay on top of your work. Don’t slack off.
3. Have fun and be engaged! This class is a great learning experience. Choose ideas that interest you so that you can learn the most out of it. If you choose a business concept that you actually like, the class will be more enjoyable and also easier since it’s something you can talk about.

Hi Taylor!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing to incoming freshman on the reality of going to college. You reflected on many things that I myself would recommend. I agree, planning is highly important to remember and keeping up with the day to day task. Moreover, I also agree that time management plays an important role in anyones life and are life skills needed in your everyday life. Thanks for sharing your findings, and reflecting on what you learned throughout this course so far!
Kaitlin
Hey Taylor, if I were a freshman, this information would definitely be helpful to my overall class experience. I especially liked your last tip - I think that if you write about ideas that actually interest you, each assignment will seem less and less like hard work. This will ultimately allow you to get more knowledge out of the class. This was a great post!
ReplyDeleteHey Taylor,
ReplyDeleteAs someone who has always been good at planning, I never really thought about useful it is if you do not do it. Your first tip is a good reminder that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. The part where you mentioned going at your own speed, but not falling behind is very important. And in your last tip, I liked how you reminded people to just have fun. Life isn't that serious, so might as well have some fun!
Hey Taylor!
ReplyDeleteI also only watch the live lectures for the class. I find it more convenient but, at the same time, I find that it can be really easy to push the lectures off until the last minute (and believe me: I have done this quite a few times!). To counter this, I try to make room in my schedule to watch the lectures uninterrupted. During a busy week, it usually does mean me pushing this off to the end of the week, but I tend to complete the cupcakes on Fridays, so it works out ok anyways.
Best,
Matthew Mrnacaj