#20 – Growing Your Social Capital
Domain Expert Interview: The person I reached out to was Brittany, who is a Garmin Ambassador. I chose Brittany as my contact since it seemed more reasonable to speak with her than it would be the CEO (basically knew I would never hear back). I found her on Hoovers and it was only her number so I contacted her through LinkedIn, and have not yet heard back. However, having her in my network would enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity because she knows an abundant amount of information about the product that I would like to produce, and I think just having her as a contact in general would be very beneficial. She could help direct me in the right way since she is very knowledgeable about the industry itself.
Market Expert Interview: I interviewed Hannah, who is a college-aged female that lives about 2 hours outside of Chicago. She runs very frequently, participates in all types of organized races, and has actually used different types of watches, therefore she is in my targeted market filling the market expert role. I met Hannah through a friend of a friend, after describing that I wanted to interview someone who lived near Portland, Chicago, Boston or Boulder. I reached out to her over email since I felt a little uncomfortable giving her a call. Hannah provided me with a lot useful information about the market, and her advice on how to differentiate my product from those already out there. Including her in my network enhances my ability to exploit an opportunity because she understands my intended market (especially since she’s a part of it) and informs me of what customers want out of my product.
Supplier Interview: I interviewed Henry, who was one of my old bosses at my internship. Since I am developing an app, he fills the spot of supplier because he understands how to code, and actually developed the whole website and all of the technical algorithms for his company. I emailed Henry about my business idea. He explained that my app was definitely feasible, and further described in technical terms how one could make it happen. When working with him in the past, we would always discuss what design and layout looked best to attract consumers, so he also shared his tactics with me on that. Having Henry in my network enhances my ability to exploit an opportunity because his technical advice is very valuable. He knows a lot of useful information and is always willing to give a helping hand.
Reflection: I personally found this as one of the more difficult assignments for this class because I had to really think of who to reach out to, considering I don’t know many people in this industry or field. However, this assignment does show how easy it is to network and how willing others are to share their knowledge with you. When it comes to networking, especially target networking, you have to be proactive about the process and unafraid to reach out. Great learning experience!
Market Expert Interview: I interviewed Hannah, who is a college-aged female that lives about 2 hours outside of Chicago. She runs very frequently, participates in all types of organized races, and has actually used different types of watches, therefore she is in my targeted market filling the market expert role. I met Hannah through a friend of a friend, after describing that I wanted to interview someone who lived near Portland, Chicago, Boston or Boulder. I reached out to her over email since I felt a little uncomfortable giving her a call. Hannah provided me with a lot useful information about the market, and her advice on how to differentiate my product from those already out there. Including her in my network enhances my ability to exploit an opportunity because she understands my intended market (especially since she’s a part of it) and informs me of what customers want out of my product.
Supplier Interview: I interviewed Henry, who was one of my old bosses at my internship. Since I am developing an app, he fills the spot of supplier because he understands how to code, and actually developed the whole website and all of the technical algorithms for his company. I emailed Henry about my business idea. He explained that my app was definitely feasible, and further described in technical terms how one could make it happen. When working with him in the past, we would always discuss what design and layout looked best to attract consumers, so he also shared his tactics with me on that. Having Henry in my network enhances my ability to exploit an opportunity because his technical advice is very valuable. He knows a lot of useful information and is always willing to give a helping hand.
Reflection: I personally found this as one of the more difficult assignments for this class because I had to really think of who to reach out to, considering I don’t know many people in this industry or field. However, this assignment does show how easy it is to network and how willing others are to share their knowledge with you. When it comes to networking, especially target networking, you have to be proactive about the process and unafraid to reach out. Great learning experience!
Hey Taylor!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea on reaching out to a Garmin ambassador as opposed to the CEO. I feel as though I may have made a mistake in reaching out to an executive of Netflix due to the low chance of receiving a response. I also used Hoovers to find most of my contacts. Also, I agree with you that including Henry and Hannah in your network will help you in this venture because you are getting input from a proto-typical customer and a person skilled in the technology. I believe that these connections will serve you well.
Best regards,
Matthew Mrnacaj
Hello Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you that reaching out to people it is difficult. I think you did a great job of finding new people to grow your social capital, especially your market expert because she gave you some important feedback of the target market you would like to approach. Hopefully you will hear from the Garmin Ambassador soon.
Hey Taylor!
ReplyDeleteI loved how you strategically chose great people in a position to grow and help your business. I found this to be one of the more challenging assignments as well because it is incredibly uncomfortable to put yourself out there in hopes of getting a response. I feel as well that this assignment taught me how to really use all the resources I have to my advantage to the fullest.