#27 – Reading Reflection No. 3

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol. S. Dweck, Ph.D.

1) This book explores two different mindsets that people have and how these mindsets can lead to specific behavioral traits and actions. The main theory that Carol S. Dweck discusses surrounds the idea of a fixed mindset versus a growth mindset.

2) In order to be successful in life, and especially as an entrepreneur, individuals have to be aware of their mindset. ENT3003 is a class designed to teach students how to be successful as an entrepreneur, and having the correct mindset is just as important. Knowing how to change from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset can open many doors for an individual. This book also relates to Professor Pryor’s conversation and assignment about failure, and how one views failure.

3) The exercise I would create for the class would involve a survey that identifies which mindset everyone has an individual. Then, I would have everyone identify an area in their life in which they have a fixed mindset that they wish to turn into a growth mindset. We would discuss as a class how to help them achieve that. These discussions would show the class how to change their mindset, and that it is possible to change your outlook on different aspects of your life.

4) The biggest “aha” moment for me was that mindsets are not secure. They are meant to be adaptable and are susceptible to change, regardless if you already have a growth mindset or not. As individuals, we always have an opportunity to improve our mindset, even though we don’t always think so. Our mindsets are something we have to focus and work on every day in order to achieve our full potential. Additionally, I was surprised to learn that the initial development of a person’s mindset has to do with how they have been praised in the past. For example, praising talent develops a fixed mindset, whereas praising effort develops a growth mindset. I found it really interesting that a small thing such as praise can even affect how one thinks and influence their mindset.

Comments

  1. Hey Taylor! I read this book as well and I found it to be very valuable. I have molded a growth mindset this mindset unintentionally, but I am happy to have read this book. Another point from the book that I found interesting was that you could have fixed and growth mindsets with different things in your life. For instance, I have a fixed mindset on my artistic ability, but a growth mindset on my professional abilities. I found it astonishing that wording a task differently could motivate students differently as well. I will keep that in mind for when I teach or mentor others in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Taylor,
    The book that you chose sounds very interesting because it talks about human behavior. Something that caught my attention about your post is your “aha” moment because you said that mindsets are not secure, and depending on how you praised someone in the past, the person develops a different mindset. I personally do not read many books, but this is one I have to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor!
    This book sounds very interesting and sounds like it is a book that can help you become a very successful in the future. It is possible that some information learned in this book could be life changing, and can payoff greatly. I feel like your exercise idea, is a great one and can be a very useful homework assignment to go through.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor!

    I also read this book but it was for the second reading assignment. I really learned a lot from reading about the two different mindsets: fixed and growth. For a while, I had a fixed mindset on nearly everything. It was only until I read this book that I began changing my study plans and more. Regarding the ‘aha’ moment, I also did not know that we can change our mindsets as prescribed in the book. Great post!
    Best regards,

    Matthew Mrnacaj

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 – Venture Concept No. 2

#6 – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends